Saturday, January 15, 2011

Can I get a spell check, anyone??

Through netgalley.com, I received access to an advanced digital copy of The Crossing, Gilbert Morris’ new book from Barbour Publishing. I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise, on the book and no money exchanged hands. However, I really hope someone from the publishing company reads this review and takes the time to correct some obvious mistakes!


Like a traditional Morris hero, Yancy Tremayne must find his place in the world, making peace with God as a man of war. He is introduced as a 12-year-old in the story and becomes the endearing hero of the tale. The reader feels with him the agony of his heritage, part-Indian warrior, part-Amish peacemaker, and wholly at odds with his identity.


Not till Yancy is befriended by Stonewall Jackson and his wife do the pieces of his identity come together: taken as a protege of Jackson at the Virginia Military Institute, he excels as a cadet, utilizing both his Indian shooting skills and his Amish work ethic to make an admirable soldier. As the years pass, Yancy develops into a leader, a man of character and integrity.


As the Civil War tears the country apart, Yancy serves as a courier to Stonewall Jackson, and the reader gains insight into the thoughts and personal life of the great Confederate leader. On one of his courier escapades, a life-changing event on the battlefield shakes Yancy’s view of the world and eventually leads him to love and faith.


In some ways, the book is predictable. I have read many books in the House of Winslow series, and it seems that almost all of them center on a strong male figure who struggles to find his faith in God and place in the world; this book is no exception.


It is, however, an interesting read from an historical perspective, making me wonder if the “real-life” characters are represented accurately. I don’t know much about Stonewall Jackson’s personal life and have never read of the eccentricities he exhibits in the book, such as sucking on lemons daily and eating only one item at every meal. Nor did I know that he had lost his first wife and child as well as the first child born to his second wife. Morris’ account of the Civil War from the South’s perspective was also an interesting one. I felt that he tried to portray both sides fairly and convey the true horror of war.


And now to my pet-peeves--spelling and grammar errors!!!!!!! On p. 23, there are three s’s in the word crosssed. How could a simple spell-check program not catch this error? Same goes for the bottom of p. 272: belongd is missing an e. The following errors are a little more complex: On p. 115 a person quotes scripture in his dialogue; therefore, single quotes should be used around the scripture. Instead, double quotes are used. Faraway on p. 284 should be far away (note: as far as I understand, faraway is only used to precede a noun; not as a stand-alone adjective). The sad thing is that I wasn’t reading the text closely, like I would if I were proofreading; I was simply reading the story for content and these errors jumped out at me. Please, someone, fix these mistakes before the book shows up on the shelves in February!


No comments: