I received an advanced reader’s copy of Sharpshooter in Petticoats by Mary Connealy from Barbour Publishing. I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise. My feelings are mixed about this story. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn’t “I-don’t-want-to-sleep-till-I-finish-this-book” good. The main characters were interesting and certainly unique; I can’t quite put my finger on what in the book left me unsatisfied.
Mandy Gray, quickest gun in the west, finds herself caught in an agonizing dilemma: marry the man she loves and condemn him to death or remain isolated with her three small children, held hostage by the Cooters who have declared a blood feud on her family. When Tom Linscott breaches her protective walls and forces her hand, she fights him every step of the way. Together they must end the blood vendetta if they don’t destroy each other first.
As always, it disappoints me when I find errors. These weren’t egregious ones, but I do hate to see these get past the editors and proofreaders. On page 37, one of the sentences begins, “The fuses where ready...” Where should be were. And on page 305, it says, “The train bumped to a haul...” I believe haul should be halt.
Overall, an interesting read. Perhaps one of the elements that bothered me in the book was that all the women seems to be characterized the same: overbearingly bossy and domineering towards their husbands. Anyway, these are my thoughts on the book!
No comments:
Post a Comment