I received an advanced reader’s copy of Rugged and Relentless, Kelly Eileen Hake’s new book from Barbour Publishing. I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise; however, I would highly recommend this book if you’re looking for a fun read with engaging characters set in the wild, wild west.
Four young women, determined to handle the curveballs life has thrown them, set forth to revive Hope Falls, a ghost town demolished by a mining accident that destroyed their investments. To save the town, they determine to establish a sawmill and, for their protection and success in their venture, they conclude that they need husbands. However, their advertisement blitz for God-fearing men that have knowledge of logging brings them much more than they expected.
Hake excels in creating vivid characters. I loved them and found myself laughing out loud at the antics and exchanges between the four women. The story centers most on Evie, the enterprising cook who left a successful cafe in Charleston to accompany her sister out west. She quickly establishes a new venture in the mining town, and I found my mouth watering more than once at the description of her culinary creations.
Jake Granger, fighting for his family’s honor in tracking down his brother’s killer, is the other central figure. Believing the shiftless gambler Twyler has seen the advertisement and set his cap for a rich wife, Jake takes on an assumed name and finds himself enmeshed in the drama unfolding in Hope Falls. Attraction and exasperation battle his sense of honor as he strives to protect the four women while pursuing his elusive enemy.
Fresh writing and funny exchanges kept me entertained. This book was a light-hearted escape from reality and definitely worth the read! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series as Hake writes it...
No comments:
Post a Comment